Table of contents
Events play a fundamental role in the success of a company
Event marketing is a subarea of professional marketing within a company. It comprises the targeted and systematic planning of events designed to raise the company's profile. These include trade fairs, meetings, conferences, but also sports and cultural events.
The corporate events department is responsible for all preparations, planning, organization, implementation and follow-up. The target audience here is existing and potential customers, business partners and investors, as well as other stakeholders.
Event marketing definition
Event marketing refers to the promotion and design of events to raise brand awareness, increase sales and appeal to target audiences. It includes strategic planning, execution and measurement to effectively achieve and influence the desired results. Event marketing therefore affects various stages of the customer journey.
By leveraging various channels such as social media, email marketing and partnerships with influencers, event marketing can effectively reach the target audience. It's an effective way to reach a target audience and generate leads, and it offers companies the opportunity to gather valuable customer feedback and insights.
The goal of event marketing is to create a memorable and interactive experience for attendees.
What are the key components of a successful event marketing campaign?
A successful event marketing campaign usually involves clear objectives, identification of the target audience, a creative event concept, effective advertising and post-event analysis. A good marketing strategy and event trends form the basis for this.
The goal is always to move the company forward. The company's own brand profile should be strengthened and the brand sustainably positioned. Building up a positive external image is just as important as clearly distinguishing the company from the competition. Intensifying customer relationships promotes positive further development.
Branding and image building
In today's world, where consumers are constantly inundated with information, event branding and positive image building play a special role. The better a brand is positively anchored in people's memories, the faster company successes can be generated. Image building runs through several channels that must be combined synergistically.
The goal of any marketing activity is to increase sales and bring in favorable corporate results. The success of numerous marketing activities in the event sector can only be assessed over a longer period of time. A great responsibility lies in the follow-up.
Event marketing examples
On an economic basis, participation in trade fairs, seminars and congresses is recommended. An open day under a certain motto or a press conference are popular event marketing tools.
On a cultural level, concerts, plays and media events are perfect for leaving a lasting impression. On the sporting front, tournaments, competitions and championships ensure a positive resonance.
3 grandiose examples:
- Coca Cola: chose one of the most emotional themes: Christmas. Not only is the Christmas truck known worldwide through advertising, but Melanie Thornton's song "Wonderful Dream" is also inseparably linked to Coke Cola. The truck from the commercial also travels to various cities in real life during the Christmas season to bring joy to the people there. Positive feelings are therefore linked with the brand in the best case scenario.
- Refinery29: For years, lifestyle brand Refinery29 has hosted the 29Rooms event, "an interactive funhouse of style, culture and technology." As the name suggests, it consists of 29 individually designed rooms. In each room, participants experience something different.
The spaces are designed and created with brand partners and enriched by personalities ranging from artists and musicians to consumer-facing companies like Dunkin' Donuts and Dyson.
- Volkswagen: In 2009, Volkswagen transformed a subway staircase in Stockholm into a giant piano overnight. The next day, each step produced the sound of a different piano key as people climbed up and down the stairs. The campaign was part of "The Fun Theory": people are more likely to do something if they enjoy it.
As the automotive industry began to make great leaps toward environmentally friendly products, Volkswagen wanted to help make people's personal habits healthier through fun.
According to the video, 66% more people walked up the stairs rather than using the escalator.
No matter what kind of event it is, it is always the personal and direct contact that counts. The individual approach to the target group to be reached brings maximum success.
Reading Tip: Measuring event success: the right way to do it
Analysis of attendee data and follow-up are very important for event marketing.
What are the main marketing channels to promote events?
Targeted marketing channels ensure maximum event success.
- Newsletters regularly inform about offers and latest developments.
- A well-designed website invites you to linger
- Excitingly designed blogs convey valuable knowledge content.
- Creating your own landing pages and using social media marketing effectively have a lasting impact on your company's success.
- Intelligent PR uses varied competitions, posts about sponsors as well as exciting topics and competent speakers.
- Paid or relevant channels as well as marketing in magazines has been proven to help strengthen a brand
- Personal cover letters and invitation management have a high exclusive value
What should a good event marketing concept include?
1. target group orientation
First, the target group must be clearly defined. Internally, the company addresses its own employees. External stakeholders are, for example, business partners, customers, partners, the media, and representatives from society and politics.
2. purpose orientation
Commercial events aim to sell services and goods. Non-commercial events are more aimed at conveying information and knowledge and motivating interested parties to take active action.
3. concept orientation
Arouse positive feelings in existing and new customers. Creating special moments leads to sustainable customer loyalty and added value for the company.
4. budget deployment
A spectacular trade show appearance with a large exhibition area and a colorful supporting program still makes a big impact. The investment needs to be well thought through.
If the budget is not available, a variety of inexpensive marketing activities must be resorted to. Seminars, an open day or mailing campaigns can be the perfect solution here.
Should a regional, national or international audience be targeted?
6. supply orientation
Is the focus on leisure or business products?
7. staging character
Various focal points can be set here. Should the event have more of an informative character or score with motivating and emotionalizing elements?
8. time horizon
An event stands and falls with the selection of the right time. Breakfast events are becoming increasingly popular, the head is still fresh and the participants highly motivated.
The rotation also plays a decisive role. For the launch of a new product, it will probably be a one-off event. Workshops, seminars and meetings, on the other hand, can produce positive results at regular intervals.
What are the advantages of event marketing?
Positive processes can be set in motion through the targeted control of direct and automated communication models.
The optimally selected event platform enables a smooth flow of all communication before, during and after the event
- Hybrid events: personalized push messages
- Individual invitation templates for the different participants simplify the complete workflow.
- Interaction tools and gamification provide more interaction
Innovative virtual event platforms rely on individualized content.
Creating a personalized experience (for employees or business partners) can set deep processes in motion. A perfect speaker selection helps to achieve maximum results.
The key to success lies in the intelligent linking of companies, goods and services.
As we have seen from the numerous event marketing examples, sustainable success lies in the skilful and clever combination of the individual channels, as well as good storytelling. Several corporate divisions work hand in hand and thus generate sustainable corporate success.
These blog articles may also interest you: